History of the  West Park
Neighborhood
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio

Go to Then & Now menu page                                                                                                            Go to Main Page


Numbered Streets
THEN & NOW


West 117th Street 
    
West 130th Street

West 140th Street

West 150th Street


Corner Stores

Lorain Avenue (separate page)

Named Streets (separate page)

Diners and Restaurants
             of Old West Park



West 117th Street

Shell Service Station
3540 West 117th Street

Shell Service Station West 117th

Click here to see it at Google Maps


West 130th Street

Ortli's Market
3564 West 130 Street, built c.1915
Ortle's Market c1961 
Photo c1961.

Herbert T. and Pearl Ortli operated this small grocery store across from Nathaniel Hawthorne Elementary School.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Comments and memories

Mezey’s Chevrolet Service Auto Repair
3592 West 130 Street, built c.1928, remodeled 1940.

Mezey's Auto Repair
Photo c1961.

This building is still standing on the west side of West 130th a few hundred feet south of Lorain.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Harvey's Gulf Station
West 130th and Cooley Avenue.
Harvey's Gulf Station 
Photo c1961.

Click here to see it at Google Maps



Silver Grill Lounge
 3670 West 130th Street & Cooley Avenue
Silver Grill Lounge 
Photo c1960.
The building now houses the Cooley Lounge.
Notice that this building and the next item were obviously built from the same plans.

Click here to see it at Google Maps
Go to Neighborhood & Corner Stores menu


West 140th Street

Corner Food Store
 3711 West 140th & San Diego Avenue

Corner Food Store 

Photo c1961.
Notice that this building and the previous one were obviously built from the same plans.

"The storefront on the left was a beauty parlor and the upper floor of the building contains two 5-room suites.
    For many years it was run by owners Stanley & Louise Yanesh and was popularly known as "Stan's." During the 70's it had a new owner and was known to many school kids as "Joe's."
   The store was built about 1930 and was very popular with students who passed it on their way to Garfield elementary and John Marshall High Schools. I lived right down the street from this store and well recall buying candy bars there for a nickel and red licorice "red-hot-dollars" three for a penny."  -- Gary Swilik.

Click here to see it at Google Maps
Comments and memories

Lou's Barber Shop
Stroemple's hamburger shop
3846 West 140th Street

Lou's Barber Shop
Photo c1961.

Lou's Barber Shop, (Ludwig Zajdel) built 1948.  It also, at one time or another, served as a custard stand and lunch room. The building housed Stroemple's hamburger shop at one time.  (The building is suffering from severe deterioration and is slated to be demolished.)

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Comments & memories
Go to Then & Now menu

Herold’s Grocery and Meat Market
3819 West 140th Street
at the southeast corner of Sacramento Avenue

Herald's Grocery and Meat Market
Photo c1961.

   "Herold’s Grocery and Meat Market, at 3819 West 140th Street, at the southeast corner of Sacramento Avenue, had a perfect location for a neighborhood store. Right across the Street was James A. Garfield Elementary School and John Marshall High School was just one block south. For many young West Parkers “Herold’s” was penny-candy and soft-drink headquarters.
   The store, however, sold a lot more than candy. With a full line of groceries and well-stocked meat counter Herold’s was the general food store for many local families.
   Hungarian-born John A. Herold and his wife Rosa bought the newly-constructed property and opened their store in 1926. The Herold’s raised their two daughters, Zita and Dolores, in the five room suite above the store. The girls attended the local schools and occasionally worked in the store.
   As was the custom in earlier days, Mr. Herold ran a “tab” for his neighbors, allowing his customers to get what they needed immediately and pay for it later when they had the cash. The author personally recalls local families buying groceries at Herold's “on the tab” as late as the 1970’s.
   Herold’s remained in business for nearly 50 years finally closing in 1975 when John Herold was about 82. Mrs. Herold passed away late that same year. Mr. Herold died in 1982. The two Herold daughters now live in Fairview Park."  -- Gary Swilik

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Comments & memories

Go to Neighborhood & Corner Stores menu

The site of the future John Marshal High School
Football Field

West 143rd Street


Photographs courtesy of Richard R. Morrison and Bob Margiotti.

(Right photograph) Looking north, and slightly west, across open land that will soon become John Marshall High School football field on West 143rd Street. The line of telephone poles on the left mark the location of West 143rd. Beyond the telephone poles the greenhouse of the Featherstone farm can be seen, now the site of the PPG factory. Water or sewer pipes lay in the field in preparation for construction of the school. A steam shovel can be seen at the extreme right. The chickens in the foreground are in the yard of early West Park residents James D. and Dorothy Morrison. Photo circa 1930-31.

(Left photograph)  Mrs. James (Dorothy) Morrison in the yard of her home at 3975 West 143rd Street. Looking northeast. The empty field in the background will soon became the site of the new John Marshall High School at 3952 West 140th Street. Water or sewer tiles lay in the field in preparation for construction of the school. Photo circa 1930-31.




West 150th Street

Smith Road (West 150th Street) and Brookpark Road Intersection

View looking southwest from Smith Road
Photograph from the Gary Swilik Collection

Looking southwest from 4918 West 150th to the distant intersection of Brookpark Road and Smith Rd.  May 1, 1956.  The white building at right is Pawuk's Bar, at 15200 Brookpark, now home to Fox's Den girlie bar.  The old house to the left of the white building is Klein's Restaurant and Bar at 15275 Brookpark. This was once the store and residence of Ernest and Flora Rindfleisch, today it's the Landmark Bar.  At this time West 150th ended at Brookpark Road about 165 yards east of Smith Road.  In this photo construction is underway to reroute West 150th to join with Smith Rd at Brookpark Road, creating the intersection as we know it today.

Click here to see a similar view at Google Maps


Go to top of page

Go to Then & Now menu page

Go to Main Page

Email The West Park History website


 Updated 9 June 2014