History of the  West Park
Neighborhood
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio

Rocky River Drive
THEN
& NOW
Return to Then & Now menu page       Go to Main Menu



Note: Even numbers are on the west side of the street, odd numbers on the east side.

With links to Google.maps for views of current locations
Note that these views are out of date and will change as Google
rephotographs them.

With some listings from the 1936 & 1956 Cleveland City Directories
(although not a complete list!)

Note:  There are not photographs for every location.
If you have any, especially of older buildings and businesses,
that may be considered for this site please contact the West Park History website  


The following also contains a listing of occupants of the addresses on Rocky River Drive as listed in the Cleveland City directories for 1936 and 1956, starting at Lorain Avenue moving south to Puritas Avenue after a brief look at the northwest corner of Lorain Avenue and Rocky River Drive.


Northwest Corner of Rocky River Drive and Lorain Avenue
Kamm's Plaza

3792-3790, 3788-3786, 3772, 3758, 3744 and 3740 Rocky River Drive


Looking northward up Rocky River Drive.  April 2006


The following houses stood on the west side of the street in the space now ocupied by Kamms Plaza starting about where the Shell station is now located and extending to the north on the west side of Rocky River Drive.  All were demolished to make way for Kamms Plaza, c1961.  The Shell station is on the site of the (reportedly) first gasoline service station in West Park.  It was a Gulf station built in 1930.  Another source reported that Marti Rini opened a fruit stand on this corner the same year.
3792_3786 RR
3792-3790                                                                                                                        3788-3786

3788-3772 RR
     3772                                                                                                                                      3758

3744-3740 RR
3744                                                                                                                                3740

(These photos are in the order they would appear, if still standing, in the above color photograph.)

   

1936
3740 -- Fred A. Colbrunn

3744 -- Edw. J. Hill


3760 -- Mrs. Jennie Colbrunn
             Ferndale Avenue intersection

3772 -- Jean Buechler
3773 -- vacant


3790 -- Wm. C. Knies
3792 -- Arth. G. Myers, restr.
             Lorain Avenue intersection          

1956
3740 -- Lena Colbrunn
3743 -- Apartments (six units)
3744 -- Mrs. Lucy Hill
3751 -- Apartments (six units)
3758 -- Wm. C. Kline

           Ferndale Avenue intersection
3763 -- Apartments (six units)
3772 -- Alex J. Vilesek

3786 -- Kamms Station Post Office
3788 -- Cleveland Camera & Recorder Co.
3790 -- Jennie M. Tylicki
3792 -- Espey L. Minor
             Lorain Avenue intersection


Memories of the area               Places now gone



Kamm's  Store
southwest corner of Rocky River Drive and Lorain Avenue
17209 Lorain Avenue

  c1910

The building is located on Lorain Avenue but the entry is repeated here because it can be considered a historical "anchor" of the intersection.  Although the exterior of the old grocery store built by Oswald Kamm has been altered over the years, features of the old building can still be identified.  A fire gutted the building in early 1997.  The building was renovated and another restaurant, Alfonzo’s Tuscan Grill, occupied the venerable building.  The current occupant is Panini's Bar & Grille.  The present street address is 17209 Lorain Avenue but it had a Rocky River Drive address as well.

Early history of Oswald Kamm

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Return to top of page


      * * *   Lorain Avenue  * * *
crosses Rocky River Drive at this point
(click to go to the Lorain Avenue page)



Looking northwest across Rocky River Drive
 toward Lorain Avenue

c1915      Photograph courtesy of LaVerne Landphair Buch.

The building at far right is the general store (Kamm's Store) of Oswald Kamm, for whom Kamm's Corners is named. The man in center is William C. Landphair, proprietor of Landphair's Dry Goods. The children are unidentified. Note the horse and buggy at left.



1936
3855 -- Neal E. Black Barber
3857 -- Splendid Dry Cleaning Co.
3859 -- Thrifty Savings & Loan Co.

3861 -- Mary F. Meaney Restaurant

1956


3859 -- Seivert's Sandwich & Donut
               Shop
3861 -- Jimmy Dunn's Bar


Return to top of page



Photograph taken in October 1961.

This small building was built in 1953.  It was later razed.  The site is just south of the Kamms Store on the southwest corner of Loraine Avenue and Rocky River Drive that is now a parking lot and driveway to Stake 'n Shake restaurant.


1936
no addresses listed here         

1956
3860 -- Robt. J. Pfeil, optom.
3862 -- Kamm's Barber shop


1936

3866 -- Canfield Oil Co. filling station
3873 -- Jas. W. Hyland
            Albers Avenue intersection
3878 -- Peter J.Weisbarth
3880 -- Geo. P. Deimling
3884-3892 -- Kamm's Terrace
3884 -- Mrs. Laverne V. Bohrer, music teacher
3885 -- John M. Radigan filling station

1956
3865 -- under construction
3866 -- M. E. Wilson

            Albers Avenue intersection
3878 -- Ellery J. Locklear



3885 -- George's Mobile service station           
Return to top of page


Kamm's Terrace.  Colbrunn Medical Building
3884-3892 Rocky River Drive

c1915       Coutesy of LaVerne Landphair Buch     


1950


1960


Photograph by Gary Swilik, 2004

Kamm's Terrace apartments was constructed in 1909 by Oswald Kamm.  The building was later owned by Oswald's daughter Lena, wife of local banker and contractor Leo A. Colbrunn.  In 1950 the building was converted to offices.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Return to top of page

1936
            Fernshaw Avenue intersection
3895 -- Edw. Mandell
3900 -- Adam Hoffman Ice Cream Co.     
3906 -- Mrs. Eleanor S. Partrick
   

1956
             Fernshaw Avenue intersection
3895 -- Merrin Hagerty
3900-3992 -- United Greenhouse Co., Inc.
3906 -- John L. Jaquays
             Floyd B. Jaquays, oculist
             Wm. H. Jaquays, denti







The Rockport Congregational Church was dedicated in 1906.  Photo from brochure, "Dedication of Rockport Conrgregational Church, Sep. 9, 1909," owned by LaVerne Landphair Buch.












Photograph courtesy of Aileen M. & Daniel Norton

The Rockport Congregational Church, at left (almost hidden by trees), sometime between 1906 and 1912, on the east side of what was then called Riverside Road, now Rocky River Drive. At right is one of the many large homes that stood in this area. This home stands on the property where the current church now sits.

The West Park United Church of Christ occupies the former home site seen in the previous photograph. The earlier building of the Rockport Congregational Church stands at the left and is now known as Bartter Hall. Truax Avenue is on the right.  Over the years significant water damage had occurred in sanctuary and sound system due to leaks in its aging steeple that had been installed in 1956.  In August 2011 a new 44-foot steeple was installed.  (This photograph shows the old steeple.)


Click here to see it at Google Maps
Note that the image at Google Maps is an older
view from when the steeple work was in progress.


1936
4178 -- Producers Milk Co.

1956
4178 -- Huntley Hardware 

Return to top of page


1936
            Truax Avenue intersection
3912 --W. L. Barthelman
3921 -- Carmelo LoParo
3922 -- Harry C. Walker
3935 -- Mrs. Jean Ocheltree
             Bradgate Avenue intersection

1956
            Truax Avenue intersection
3912 -- Mrs. Edith M. Barthelman
3921 -- Benedict J. Palmer
3922 -- Mrs. Bertha M. Walker
3935 -- Wm. J. Featherstone
             Bradgate Avenue intersection



Bradgate Avenue intersection, west side of Rocky River Drive

Bradgate Avenue intersectuib
c1902-1912. Photograph courtesy of Aileen M. & Daniel Norton

West side of Rocky River Drive, then called Riverside Road, sometime between 1902 and 1912.  West Park was still Rockport Village at this time. Interurban tracks are in the foreground.  Bradgate Avenue now runs west off Rocky River Drive between the houses.

1936
             Bradgate Avenue intersection
3936 -- Wm. W. Colbrunn
3950 -- Jos. G. Way
3951 -- vacant
1956
 
           Bradgate Avenue intersection
3936 -- Anna K. Colbrunn
3950 -- Edw. J. Berry
3951 -- Herbert J. Houlehan
Return to top of page

Herr-Way of Service Station
3964 Rocky River Drive

3964 Rocky River Drive
  1960

2964 Rocky River Drive. Station office. 1960
1960

Herr-Way of Service station (Alex J. Orb. The garage part of the station is the section that was built in 1932.  This office section (lower photo) was built as an addition in 1955.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

1936
3964 -- Herr-Way of Service gas station         
1956
3964 -- Orbans Herr-Way of Service gas statio

Return to top of page



1936

3970 -- Nicholas Nagy, Harley Barnhill

3975 -- Frank Herr
3976 -- Jacob Kolleda
             Geo. Schneeberger
             Chatfield Avenue intersection
3980 -- Mrs. Anna M. Nichols, Elmer J. Kraus


3986 -- Harlow H. Landphair

3998 -- Shultz–Dunham Dairies, Inc.
4002 -- Jos. Pinter
4014 -- Peter Barthelman

4026 -- United Greenhouses, Inc., Fredk. W. Reitz


4030 -- Wilbur L. Nichols
4037 -- Wm. F. Ahrens
              rear -- Robert Osweld
4041 -- Owen L. Carroll
4042 -- John D. Daly, Jr.
4045 -- Eug. L. Carroll
1956
3965 -- Sixth Church of Christ Scientists
3970 -- Mrs. Elsie Munkachy beauty shop
             Elmer L. Munkachy, Nicholas Nagy
3975 -- Louis W. Franz
3976 -- Jacob S. Kolleda
             Jas. J. Kolleda trenching & grading cont.
             Chatfield Avenue intersection
3980 -- Elmer Kraus
3981 -- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
3985 -- Krebs Sunoco Station
3986 -- Rev. Glenn W. Spaulding
3990-92 -- United Greenhouse Co., Inc.
3998 -- Kenneth L. Dean
4002 -- Juliette Besse, Mrs. Anita M. Keller
4014 -- Henry Barthelman
4016 -- Wm. J. Brett
4026 -- Robt. R. Milde
4027 -- Riverside Gardens Apartments
             (28 units)
4030 -- Danl. Sherwood
4037 -- Everett D. Young, Edw. T. Healy,
             Rex Bullard, Robt. D. Gilmour
4041 -- Aaron W. Short, Own Carroll
4042 -- Jos. Halek
4045 -- Edna M. Carroll


Northern Ohio Cleaners
4049 Rocky River Drive

4049 Rocky River Drive
c1960

The building was constructed circa 1931.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

1936
4049 -- Northern Ohio Cleaners, Inc.

1956
4049 -- Northern Ohio Cleaners, Inc.

Return to top of page


1936
4050 -- Carl F. Green

4060 -- Jas. E. Thatcher
         Larchwood Avenue intersection
4071 -- Clarence C Goellner filling station
4075 -- Perry K. Stevens Restaurant
4076 -- John W. Russo
             Violet Baisel Beauty Shop
             Alf T. Barnes filling station

4081 -- Wm. Spoerke
4082 -- Wm. B. Demaline, Wm E.Demaline
4087 -- Gustav F. Jeske, general contractor

1956
4050 -- Frank J. Clawson
4059 -- K & S Service Center gas station    
4060 -- Earl G. Williams
        Larchwood Avenue intersection
4071 -- Jennie, McMahon
4075 -- L. R. Gage Saw & Tool Co.
4076 -- Chas. A. Myland


4080 -- Phillips Radio & TV
4081 -- Thos. L. Bryg sewing machs.
4082 -- Buster Vance, Jas. A. Kisner
4087 -- Patk. J. Healey


Four Suite Apartment Building
4088 Rocky River Drive

4088 Rocky River Drive- c1960
1960

This building was constructed in 1955.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Return to top of page


1936


4095 -- Rev. Wellington Leininger
1956
4094 -- Marie Jule beauty shop     
             rear, Geo. P. Deimling
4095 -- Anna Mahoney


Ford Local CIO, beauty salon, apartments
4096-4098 Rocky River Drive

4096-98 Rocky River Drive. 1961
1961

Hair & Nail Salon and Ford Local CIO salon on 1st floor. Two apartments on the 2nd floor. Built c1925. Photo 1961.
 In 1936, Philip C. Becker, Wm. Alflen were listed at 4096.  Cletus Reinhart Bakery was at 4098.
In 1956, United Auto Workers Local 1250 was listed at 4098.

Click here to see it at Google Maps


1936
4096 -- Philip C. Becker, Wm. Alflen   
4098 -- Cletus Reinhart Bakery
1956
4096 -- Jas. E. Davis
4098 -- United Auto Workers Local 125

Return to top of page



1936
            
Melgrave Avenue intersection


4113 -- Jas. E. O'Brien
4114 -- Caroline A. Norton

4123 -- Jos. Ebsworth, mason contractor
             Sedalia Avenue intersection
4135 -- Mrs. Florence E. Dixon
4139 -- Edw. S. Bushman
4141 -- Jos. J. Gable

1956
             Melgrave Avenue intersection
4107 -- Donald E. Braunlich, osteo.
4109 -- Kelsik's Barber & Beauty Shop 
4113 -- Jas. E. O'Brien
4114 -- Gertrude G. Carey
4118 -- Bearden's Inc. restaurant
4123 -- Gertrude M. Ehrbar
             Sedalia Avenue intersection
4135 -- Edwin P. Barnes
4139 -- Albert Gogolin
4141 -- Dairy Queen ice cream



Dairy Queen, later John's Gastown, now Sunoco
4142 Rocky River Drive

4142 Rocky River Drive. 1952
1952

4142 Rocky River Drive. 1960
1960

1st photo:  Dairy Queen, 4142 Rocky River Dr. Built c1952. Photo 20 March 1952 - construction almost complete.
2nd photo:  John's Gastown (John H. Votko), 4142 Rocky River Drive. Built c1959. Photo c1960. (Former site of Dairy Queen.)

There was no listing for this address in the City Directory of 1936 but is listed in 1956.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Return to top of page


1936
4143 -- Mrs. Eliz. Benning, beauty shop
1956
4143 -- Kenney's Hardware                  
4144 -- Robt. Matennich

4147-4153 Rocky River Drive

(4145-4151 Rocky River Drive in 1936)

4147-53 Rocky River Drive. 1960
August 1960

In the photo, the visible storefront housed the Alpine Tavern at 4153 Rocky River.  The Hobby Castle was housed at 4147 which is obscured by the white truck.  It is no longer in existance.

Evidently there was a change in the address numbers between 1936 and 1956 which causes some confusion as to "what was where when."

Click here to see it at Google Maps

1936
4143 -- Mrs. Eliz. Benning, beauty shop
4145 -- vacant
4147 -- Leslie P. Kenney Hardware
4149 -- vacant
4151 -- vacant

1956

4145-51 -- Campbell Apartments          
              (4 units.  See above.)
4152 -- Henry G. Barry
4153 -- Alpine Bar

Return to top of page



1936
4152 -- Louis G. Bohrer
4153 -- Chas. J. Scheeff, meats

4157 -- John Elges, beer
4165 -- Benj. Guglielmino filling station
1956


4155 -- Merle's Pet Shoppe
4157 -- Wm. Cunningham
4165 -- St. John's Shell Service Station 


Valleyview Market

4168 Rocky River Drive

4168 Ro0cky River Drive 1960
1960

Valley View Market (Philip P. Indriolo, Jr.)  Date of construction unknown.
The building now houses West Park Massotherapy.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

1936
4168 -- Allan J. Gardner, meats
             Fisher Bros. Co. grocers
             (Five apartments)
1956
4168 -- Valleyview Market        
             Fred Hahlen meats
             (Five apartments)

Return to top of page


Valleyview Avenue intersection

Night view at Valleyview Avenue Intersection 1969

Night photograph - 1969

Night view of Valleyview intersetion 2010

Night photograph - 2010

Click here to see a recent daytime view at Google Maps

Return to top of page

Riverview Pharmacy
4172 Rocky River Drive

4172 Rocky River Drive 1960

1960

In 2013, the corner entrance is 4174 Rocky River Drive.

1936
             Valleyview Avenue intersection
4171 -- Geo. T. Campbell, real estate
4172 -- Apex Apartments
             (Five apartments)
             Airport Pharmacy

4175 -- Austin A. Ruddy
4176 -- Kroger Grocery Co. grocery

1956
             Valleyview Avenue intersection

4172 -- Riverview Pharmacy
             (Five apartments)


4175 -- Martens Funeral Home
4176 -- United Auto Workers Local 755

Return to top of page

Huntley Hardware

4178 Rocky River Drive

4178 Rocky River Drive 1960
1960

It was Huntley Hardware.  Today it is Kelly Hardware.
Note the addition (with the flag in the window) onto the right side of the original building.
In 1956, it was listed with the address of 4186 Rocky River Drive.

Huntley Hardware shed, 1960
1960
This garage (built 1950), immediately west of Huntley Hardware, was used to sell plants and garden supplies.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

1936
4180 -- vacant   

1956
----                     




Radtke's Delicatessen
4181 Rocky River Drive


c1961

In about 1952 the Radtke's had a new brick store constructed at 4181 Rocky River Drive, immediately north of the original wooden structure at 4187 Rocky River Drive, and officially named it "Radtke's Delicatessen." It's this building that stands today. The old store was torn down and they expanded into the new building with an enlarged line of groceries, cold cuts, imports, beer, wine, and magazines.  Click here to learn more about the Radtke family and the store.
Click here to see it at Google Maps


1936
4182 -- Michael M. Guardian, shoe repair

4187 -- Mrs. Martha E. Carroll
             John J. Kitsteiner, painter

1956
4182 -- no return
4186 -- (see Huntley Hardware above)    



Kaywood Apartments
4190 Rocky River Drive


1962

This apartment building consists of eight suites. Built in 1961.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

1936
4190 -- Cleveland Railway Co.

1956
4190 --  no return                      


Return to top of page

1936
4194 -- John K. Watson
             Woodbury Avenue intersection

1956
4194 -- John T. Hanley
             Woodbury Avenue intersection



Dairy Dell
4200 Rocky River Drive


c1961

Constructed in 1959.  (The Launderama was vacant in 1961.)

Click here to see it at Google Maps
Return to top of page

1936

4214 -- vacant
4217 -- Arth. W. Walter filling station
4218 -- Saml. Messina
4223 -- Victor Feldtz
4225 -- Edw. G. Rau
4227 -- Robt. Woodward, trucking
4232 -- Louis W. Kramer


4240 -- Howard A. Arndt
4248 -- Julian P. Kollie
4251 --Wm. Broeckel beauty shop
4253 -- Theo. C. Stroemple, barber

4257 -- Fredk. C. Toedtman, drugstore
             Westdale Avenue intersection
4265 -- Jas. D. Kelly, Harry H. Gray,
               Donald Kelly
4270 -- Cath. Horstman Training Home for
               Girls
              Mrs. Julia M. Deericks
4271 -- Mrs. Blanche A. Berry
4273 -- Jos. Rieke
4285 -- Donald C. Oliver
4287 -- Industrial ApplianceCo., oven cleaners
             Mrs. Helen B. Collins
4288 -- Harry E. Humbel

4291 -- Edw. M. Conway
4293 -- Louis Horvath
             Elsienna Avenue intersection

4305 -- Howard J. Vick
4309 -- Wm. T. Spencere
4310 -- Geo. Norton
4312 -- Edw. C. Eucker
4313 -- Sherlock Wadsworth
4317 -- Wm. E. Tunney
4320 -- Irvin E. VanBoxel
4321 -- Fredk. A. Walz
4335 -- Alvin E. Borchert, filling station
             Laverne Avenue intersection
4341 -- Maerkle White Huxtable Auble Co.,
               real estate
4343 -- Neal Norton
4350 -- Wm. Norton

4356 -- John F. Laughlin

1956
4213 -- Robertson Sinclair Service, gas station
4214 -- Elmer R. Paulitzky
4217 -- vacant
4218 -- Willard E. Hauser, phys.
4223 -- Thomas B. Hunt
4225 -- Alf R. Hedbert
4227 -- Mrs. Laura M. Zimmerman
4232 -- Frank J. Sords
4237-45 -- Riverside Terrace Apartments
              (Fifteen apartments)
4240 -- Jos. L. Phillips
4248 -- Alex Mezey, plumbing
4251 -- Chandler Building Co.
4253 -- McElroy's Barber Shop
4255 -- Garland O. Shook
4257 -- McHales Delicatessen
             Westdale Avenue intersection
4265 -- Jos. S. Schicker, Harry H. Gray

4270 --  Holy Cross Lutheran Church
             Parish Hall

4271 -- Richard Radke
4273 -- vacant
4285 -- Zella E. Oliver
4287 -- Edw. E. Moore

4288 -- Harry Humbel
             Cecelia K. Brickman, Music teacher
4291 -- Edw. M. Conway
4293 -- Dale O. Graham
             Elsienna Avenue intersection
4301 -- Ralph H. Western
4305 -- Paul W. Ross
4309 -- Chas. Allen
4310 -- Thomas J. Norton
4312 -- Mrs. Margt. O'Shea
4313 -- John J. Gannon
4317 -- Theo. A. Schillky
4320 -- John R. Carse
4321 -- Ernest N. Junak
4335 -- Seager Sonoco service station
             Laverne Avenue intersection


4343 -- Millard G. Wiseman
4350 -- Annie B. Norton
             Robt. N. Norton, excavator
4356 -- Geo. F. Uhrig


Kim's Hardware.  Air Way Inn Restaurant
4359-4361 Rocky River Drive


c1960

The building was constructed in 1928.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

1936
4359 -- Albert McMurtrie, grocer
4361 -- Jacob Koch
4363 - Wm. J. Marquard, beer

1956
4359-61 -- Kim's Hardware        

4363 -- Airway Inn

Return to top of page

1936
4360 -- Edwin W. Staebler
4363 -- Wm. J. Marquard, beer (see above)
4364 -- Chas. J. Deex

4374 -- Ignatius T. Brock
             Arth. H. Fourtner, general contractor  
             Milburn Avenue intersection
4380 -- Mrs. Susan Nickel
4383 -- May Breen


4395 --Mrs. Martha Code
4396 -- Michl. F. Norton
4400 -- Mrs. Kath. O'Brien
4406 -- Jas. S. Kennedy

1956
4360 -- Louis A. Plichta
4363 -- Airway Inn (see above)
4364 -- Danl. E. Newton
4370 -- Jos. J. Klamet, Herbert W. Bindernagel
4374 -- Harry C. Schwarzer

             Milburn Avenue intersection
4380 --
Steven Dido
4383 -- John Philip, Frank R. Kaspar
4384 -- Benito Muny
4390 -- under construction
4395 -- Wm. D. Young
4396 -- Mrs. Ida Norton
4400 -- John Norton
4406 -- Howard C. Spilker




Margaret Beauty Salon
4410 Rocky River Drive


c1960

Margaret Beauty Salon (Margaret Amburst), constructed 1958.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

1936
4410 -- Gertrude Campbell
4414 -- Jacob Daso, florest                           

1956
4410 -- no return
4414 -- Florence K. Daso, Robt. J. Matanick

Return to top of page

1936
4420 -- Frank A. Wark
4427 -- St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church

1956
4420 -- Wm. F. Chambers  Funeral Home
4427 -- St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church



Lawson's Milk Company
4434 Rocky River Drive


August 1960

Lawson's Milk Company. Built 1958.
Old Puritas School is in the background.

Click here to see the location at Google Maps
Return to top of page

Frankie's Delicatessen
(Fran & Mrs. Mary Verbonese)
4444 & 4448 Rocky River Drive


c1960

Frankie's Delicatessen (Fran & Mrs. Mary Verbonese)
4444 Rocky River Drive
(demolished)





Discount Tile Mart
(Joseph E. Pearl)
4448 Rocky River Drive


c1960

Discount Tile Mart (Joseph E. Pearl)
   4448 Rocky River Drive
Built in 1952. In 1956, it was Palmer's Eagle Super Market
(demolished)   

This building and the previous one were razed to make room for a major drugstore.  However, that building is now occupied by a Family Dollar store.

Click here to see the location at Google Maps

Memories of Frankie's Delicatessen


1936
4444 -- Gideon Kaiser, contractor



             Puritas Avenue intersection   

1956
4444 -- Frankie's Delicatessen
            (Fran & Mrs. Mary Verbonese)
4448 -- Palmer's Eagle Super Market

             Puritas Avenue intersection


Return to top of page


Puritas Avenue intersection




Ellis Gulf Service (1960)
4450 Rocky River Drive


1960

The Ellis Gulf Service Station (Robert G. Ellis) at the southwest corner of Rocky River Drive and Puritas Avenue was built about 1957. The lot is now occupied by a Taco Bell restaurant which was built in the early 1980s.

Click here to see it at Google Maps


Return to top of page


Charles Wood Memorial Hospital.
4650 Rocky River Drive
(Photograph of 18223 Rockland Avenue)



The building is actually at 18223 Rockland Avenue, immediately west of Rocky River Drive. In the early 1950's this was the Lee Products Company, distributor of Vacuum Cleaner parts. After standing vacant for several years it was remodeled into a hospital. It is now (2007) part of the Rae-Ann Center assisted living facility at 4650 Rocky River Drive.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Return to top of page


Dominic's Barber Shop
4685 Rocky River Drive


c1961

Dominic's Barber Shop was owned by Dominic LaMarco who passed away in 1992

Click here to see it at Google Maps
Return to top of page


Cities Service gas station
4688 Rocky River Drive


c1960

Cities Service gas station. Built c1953. (Demolished)

Click here to see it at Google Maps
Return to top of page



4698-4707 Rocky River Drive


March 1953

4698-4707 Rocky River Drive. Photo taken 7 March 1953 just before Wilton Drug opened. The construction permit was issued in September 1952, and the building completed early in 1953.


c1961

Left:  Harburt's Bar at 4698 Rocky River Drive. Owned by Albert, Joseph and Marion Haburt.

Center:  Farrow One Hour Cleaners, 4696 Rocky River Drive.

Right:  Topp's Beverage at 4694 Rocky River Drive.

This commercial building was constructed in 1955. Previously a one-family dwelling stood on this site. It was moved to 18201 Brysdale Avenue in December 1954.

Photographs from the Gary Swilik Collection.

Click here to see it at Google Maps

Return to top of page

The Airport Deli
4792 Rocky River Drive.


c1960

The building was demolished for a proposed airport expansion.

It had several owners over the years:

1934 ................ Mrs. Virginia Rabatory
1942-54 ............Joseph C. Gedeon
1956 .................Frank & Irma Gonzales
1960s-1979 ......Billy Brooks
1980-1999 ........Tom Dayem


When the Airport Deli building was demolished it was the last commercial building at the southern end of Rocky River Drive.  The last remaining building is a residence at 4786 Rocky River Drive.

Return to top of page

4786 Rocky River Drive


April 2006

The last building standing at the south end of
Rocky River Drive in West Park.
This view is from Rocky River Drive looking southwest.



Return to top of page

Return to Then & Now menu page
Go to Diners and Restaurants of Old West Park
Go to Then & Now neighborhood/corner stores page

Return to Main Page

Email West Park History website

Created and updated by: Charles C. Chaney
 
Last updated:  11 June 2014