History of the West Park
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
Go to Articles Page Go to Main Page
Marquard Shrine on Rocky River Drive
By Gary Swilik
The 108-year-old Monastery of Poor Clares, at 3501 Rocky River Drive, sits on a beautiful lawn and is surrounded by shade trees. At the southwest corner of the yard, closer to the street, is a pavilion containing a painted statue of Our Lady of Lourdes. The roof of the shelter is supported by eight carved wooden pillars. This graceful shrine originally stood almost a mile away on the grounds of the Marquard Mansion at 3260 Warren Road, the home of local builder Philip Marquard. When he passed away in 1942 it was donated to the monastery. The shrine was altered after it was moved. Originally it included only four columns and was partially enclosed by a wall.